Another Pinterest recipe I tried. The original recipe is here. I definitely have a sweet tooth, but I found this recipe too sweet! Pigs are flying right now. Haha. Not sure what I have to adjust. Any suggestions?
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used Almond milk)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon oil (I used coconut oil, but it kept solidifying, so use canola oil or something similar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- FROSTING FILLING
- 1.5 cups unsweetened coconut flake
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk – I used Almond milk again)
- 2-3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- FROSTING – Using a food processor, mix the coconut flakes until they form coconut butter. Scrape down the sides as necessary. It may not come to a full paste but it should be near creamy. (Start your pancake batter while it’s mixing)
- Once creamy, add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix again.
- While the mixture is processing, add in splashes of coconut milk until it resembles a creamy frosting that retains a little thickness.
- BATTER – Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Mix milk, oil and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a separate bowl until combined.
- Add the liquid to the dry and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Add a touch more milk if it’s too thick.
- Drop small scoops of batter onto the lightly greased skillet. When bubbles start to peak through the surface and you see a bit of light browning/crisping up on the underside, flip the pancakes over carefully, about 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat on the other side, remove from the pan.
- Top pancakes with as much frosting as desired. I found a small spoonful between each later was plenty.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Today was the first of four races I planned for the year – The Mother’s Day Run. My goal was 5k under 25. I knew when I set the goal it would be tough for me. A couple of weeks I ran 5k in 28:22 and I thought, “Ok, I’ll be happy with sub 28″. A few days ago, I ran 5K in 27:42 and then I thought, “Ok, I’ll be happy with sub 27:30″. Lol. Race day came (today) and my Garmin went off at 5k in 26:58. But the finish line was STILL SO FAR AWAY! Apparently the course is actually 5.39km (to be exact), so my official time was 29:19. I’m happy with the race. My next race is a 10k in 2 weeks. I really need to work on hills. They killed me. But I know NYC (my ultimate goal for this year) is filled with hills so I just need to suck it up and do them.
My splits (according to my Garmin) were: 5:21/5:30/5:11/5:27/5:29. I’m proud of myself for being pretty consistent! Go me!
Did I really miss an entire month of blogging? I honestly felt like I was in a time warp in April. It went by in a blink of an eye. 1. Practice French for 1 hour a week: March was a fail. But in April I started a French conversation class every Monday for one and a half hours. Go me! 2. Make videos: Made one in March. None in April. 3. Write down one good thing every day: Pass. 4. Running Goals: Refer to my blog post here. I feel like I’ve been running faster than ever. But not sure if I’ll meet my sub-25 5K goal in a couple weeks. I’ll be happy with a sub-28. 5. Drive only 2 times a week: March was awful. I was driving all the time. 10 times in April.
Happy April! Another poor performance month for resolutions *sigh*. Will definitely need to refocus this month.
1. Practice French for 1 hour a week: FAIL. Although, I did look in to a French class to take this month.
2. Make videos: FAIL. Haven’t worked on any videos.
3. Write down one good thing every day: Pass.
4. Running Goals: Refer to my blog post here. I ran a very comfortable 8 miles at my marathon pace this morning. All I need to do is keep that up for another 18.2 miles :P
5. Drive 10 times or less a month: FAIL. This month I drove my car 16 times! I had a lot of errands to do and I was too lazy to plan appropriately. As well, there were a few last minute events that came up. But no excuse.
My goal is to finish all my May 2014 videos by May 2015 :P
Here’s a random video of me eating my way through Vancouver.